Saturday, September 21, 2013

MiniMovers visits Tonkin Replicas Europe

Originally, the main focus of Tonkin Replicas was truck and trailer models. However, Tonkin recently succeeded in obtaining the Caterpillar license and the company now aims to set the standard in the construction machinery sector.

On 1 July 2013 the US company Tonkin Replicas Inc. opened a new site in Europe. Tonkin, which has its head office in Seattle, is entering into a joint venture for this purpose with Industrial Merchandising Concepts B.V. (IMC Branding) from Montfoort in the Netherlands. One of the intentions of the joint venture, Tonkin Replicas Europe B.V., is to distribute the brand new Caterpillar program as well as the full range of Tonkin truck and trailer models. The working area will be Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

imageAt Friday 13th September I was invited by Joep Hansen to meet the Tonkin Replicas Europe team. Armed with my photo camera and a box containing pastry (Zeeuwse Bolussen) I arrived at the new European HQ in Montfoort.

Joep Hansen (Managing Director), Erik Siks (Product Development) and Joris Gielen (Marketing) spend the whole afternoon with me talking about their vision and future plans with Tonkin Replicas and especially their upcoming Caterpillar scale models. Sadly for now I can not tell you any inside details, (I spotted a glimpse from a new project but its still top secret –( ) but I can assure you that the Caterpillar scale model collector will be thrilled with the ambition this team has.

I was “interrogated” and they were very interested in my opinion as a Caterpillar scale model collector about the DO’s and DONT’s. The idea of starting up a “Tonkin collector’s think tank” will be further elaborated.

The meeting ended with the presentation of the prototype of the Caterpillar 988K Wheel loader in 1:50th scale. Although I knew it was still a prototype I could see that Tonkin has the intention to set new standards with their Caterpillar construction model line up. “Functionality and an eye for details” is my first positive reaction holding this Tonkin Wheel Loader model in my hands.

Frisked and checked to be sure I did not leave with the 988K I left them loaded with Tonkin promotion goodies in the trunk and a new appointment to meet soon.

Wouter

No comments:

Post a Comment